Sunday, May 19, 2013

A tornado hit my home town.

Today, May 19th, 2013 some powerful and destructive tornadoes swept through much of the central part of the United States. There was a little town in central Oklahoma of about 700 people that got hit pretty hard. That little town's name is Carney and it happens to be where I grew up. 

When I saw that there was a tornado heading straight for that little town, I called my sister and she said that my mom and her were going to just ride it out at the house. I thought, "okay, I wish they'd go to our grandparents" because they have a cellar. I called back about an hour later after hearing that the tornado had in fact ripped through town, and my family was safe; they ended up going to the cellar and I thank God that they did. I thank God that they went because the tornado went right down the road where they live. It beat, battered or tossed every single house on the road except for my mom's. My mom's house was completely untouched, even the garage was fine, I couldn't believe it. 

My best friend went down there and took some photos. It's truly heartbreaking and heart-wrenching to see all the destruction and devastation. People lost their homes, their cars, everything they own and I personally know them and that hurts. I always feel for the people that lose things in weather related disasters or disasters at all, but this, I just can't seem to wrap my head around yet. This is my little town, my little piece of heaven, the place I grew up, where I lived until I moved to Kansas, things like this don't happen there. We've had our share of tornado scares over the years, but I never thought one would actually hit so close to home, literally. 









There are still chances of severe weather, of weather that could produce tornadoes tonight and tomorrow and that scares me. Even growing up in Oklahoma, severe weather has always scared me. As soon as it starts to thunder I start to freak out. I pray for the plains and I pray for all the people that lost things today. 

At the end of the day there are things that I'm thankful for. I'm thankful that my mom's house is still standing with no damage. I'm thankful that my family is all okay, material things can be replaced, but people can't. I'm thankful for kind people that will help this tiny Oklahoma town that most people have never heard of. I'm just thankful. 


4 comments:

  1. This is soo sad. :/ I'm soo sorry your hometown has had to go through this. Prayers are being sent their way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs and prayers to you and your hometown!

    ReplyDelete