Saturday, January 25, 2014

Beer Battered Onion Rings!

I made these the other day and HOLY SHIT. They were so good! 
This is the recipe I used:

Ingredients:
1 large Vidalia onion, sliced into 1-inch thick slices with rings separated
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup self- rising flour
1/2 (12 ounce) bottle of New Castle beer (or substitute with your favorite ale)
1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided plus more for seasoning after frying
1 ½ tablespoon garlic powder, divided
¾ tablespoon pepper, divided
2 1/2 cups vegetable oil


Directions:
In a zip-top bag combine flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons garlic powder and 1 teaspoon pepper. Shake to combine.

In a medium bowl beat eggs and add the remaining seasonings.
 In a second medium bowl pour the beer.
In a large skillet add oil and bring to 350 degrees F. 
Dip onion rings into egg mixture, about 6 rings at a time. Then put rings into  the zip lock bag and shake until well coated. Remove rings from the bag one at a time and dip into beer then into hot oil. After two minutes turn rings and cook  until a little darker than golden brown (about 2 more minutes). Remove onion rings to drain on a paper towel lined plate. While hot, sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Serve immediately.   

I didn't have a cooking thermometer so I just winged it. I turned my burner to about 7, so the higher side of medium and then waited about 6 or 7 minutes for the oil to get hot. I then put my onion rings in there, I did a few at a time, and then waited until they were slightly browned and then turned them, then waited until they were a little darker than golden brown and took them out and sprinkled with salt. I tried the way the recipe said and when I did it for 2 minutes on each size I had REALLY done onion rings, probably because I didn't know for sure how hot my oil was. I also used Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale. OMG, they were amazing. Here's some photos! 











No comments:

Post a Comment